Mothers On The Mountain Jewelry

Mothers On The Mountain Jewelry
Kelli Mayer, Silversmith & Lapidary Artist

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Marriage Of Metals

This assignment in class is a pretty cool one. It's taking two types of metal and making it look like one. Sounds easy right? Stick with a simple design and it won't make you go too crazy!
First you choose your metals. I chose sterling silver and copper.  You rivet them together so they won't move as you saw out your design.  Then you glue your design onto the metal and you're ready to saw!

I have the silver on top of the copper ready to saw.
You want to use a very thin blade called a 8/O (pronounced eight-aught), that requires absolutely NO talking to anyone or any interruptions or else you break a lot of blades.  I learned this from watching the other students in class, so when I went to saw I hid away in the garage, plugged in some music and concentrated.  I ended up only breaking one blade!!! Phew!
This fine blade makes it so when you solder (connect) the two pieces together there is barely any gaps.
















Here I've already sawed through the bottom inside of the heart design and I'm starting to saw through the top of the inside heart design. You can barely see it, that's how fine the blade is.















After I cut out my design using one blade (I broke the first one at school while looking up at something that distracted me! See?)  I was so excited I had to show the family what I'd done. My son thought it was the coolest ever! Thanks :)

 Pieces of a jigsaw puzzle..
Then I put them together to show them how they will kind of look in the end. Minus the soldering and filing yet to do!


This is almost how they will look when finished, except they should look like they blend together.  Hopefully I'll be soldering them together this Thursday!  Stay tuned for the finished items soon!!



No comments: