Mothers On The Mountain Jewelry

Mothers On The Mountain Jewelry
Kelli Mayer, Silversmith & Lapidary Artist

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Amazing Plans take a wrong turn! Or not?


 It started out great. What a stone! A beautiful Royston Turquoise with such a rich green in it! I did a great setting with lots of love!!It was all going so smoothly....

 I hadn't set it yet, just daydreaming of how it will look when it's done.

Lots of love and happiness went into sawing out the little hearts.

It was a great productive day! 3 pieces on their way to being done! Yes! A Royston turquoise ring, a Nevada turquoise ring with a cool band and a Kingman turquoise pendant.
And then.....
I went to set the beautiful Royston turquoise and while doing so, it cracked. :(  
You know as a jeweler when setting stones this could happen.  This was my first. Ugh. Why did it have to be such a beautiful stone that cracked??  Alas, I was ready to put the pieces of stone in the fairy garden and wait to see if I could get another stone to be made for the setting.

I posted this picture on my Instagram page and the response ended up giving me ideas!! I follow a wonderful community of jeweler from all around the world and some of them shared their tips and tricks and now my brain is mulling over new ideas! It's not a total loss!  Here's the link to see all the comments: http://instagram.com/p/lant9thmw3/

The other two pieces survived without being cracked and are in the process of being polished up. I will share them with you later.

No comments: